Friday, August 16, 2024

The Enneagram and Self-Discovery

30 years ago I was introduced to the ancient psychological system of the nine Enneagram personality types. The information fascinated me along with the concept and the application for self-discovery and awareness. As a Behavioral Kinesiologist, I am always looking for ways to help my clients understand their behaviors, their gifts and talents and innate nature. I am not an expert in the Enneagram, as it is a serious study, but I have used the information especially for myself. I'll give an example.

I am an Enneagram number 1 - The Reformer: principled, purposeful, perfectionist. I have always felt a strong mission to help people especially as it relates to conquering adversity. As you can imagine, I have been challenged with the high standards I have set for myself and I have had to learn balance and letting go of my feelings of fixing everything.

I had a wonderful opportunity to address the continuous releasing of perfectionism and learn from this situation. I ordered my Enneagram number 1 necklace from SoulKu - www.soulku.com - and I had been wearing it every day. I took it off one night and somehow the cord got tangled. Since I make jewelry, I thought I had the tools that could untangle the knot. Not so. I started laughing and realized that I was not supposed to fix the knot. This was a lesson for me. Keep the knot and enjoy the necklace and it's imperfection!


Along with the books below, the best place to learn more about the Enneagram is www.enneagraminstitute.com , founded in 1997 by the late Don Riso and Russ Hudson. 

The Wisdom of the Enneagram - The Complete Guide to Psychological and Spiritual Growth For the Nine Personality Types by Don Richard Riso and Russ Hudson

Understanding the Enneagram - The Practical Guide To Personality Types by Don Richard Riso

Enneagram Transformations - Releases and Affirmations For Healing Your Personality Type by Don Richard Riso

Personality Types - Using the Enneagram For Self-Discovery by Don Richard Riso


 


No comments: