Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Just Show Up

 Many of my clients and students are surprised to find out that I am shy and an introvert. When I am teaching or having a session with a client, I am fully present, confident and passionate about what I do. But, send me into a party where I don't know anyone and I am extremely uncomfortable.

Many years ago I was invited to participate in a Women's Retreat as a workshop presenter. This was a 3 day retreat at a beautiful boy scout camp in New Hampshire. We stayed in the cabins in the woods, swam in the lake, did yoga and drumming, participated in workshops and crafts and so much more. Initially, I was reluctant to go. I didn't know anyone and wasn't sure of the format, blah, blah, blah. I was making excuses and my friend said to me: "just show up." That's all you have to do. Let everything else unfold.

Guess who the last person was to leave the camp on Sunday? Yup...me! I had a wonderful time and met incredible women who I continued to see for the 10 years that I showed up. What an amazing lesson that has stayed with me ever since.


 

No comments: