Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Standing Still IS Moving Forward

Consider this:

Standing still and moving forward are not mutually exclusive! 

It seems that many of us are on the fast track to get somewhere, do something memorable, mark our mark and find purpose. But, at what cost? How much can the body take? We would never consciously run a marathon 365 days a year and yet we often live this was.

"You must learn to be still in the midst of activity and to be vibrantly alive in repose."

                Indira Gandhi


Years ago I had a passion for ice dancing. I had a partner, two pros and I spent 10 years and more hours than I can count at the skating rink. I couldn't get enough. The day came, though, when I couldn't do anything right. I kept falling, I didn't want to be there and I got so frustrated that I told my partner I was taking a week off. I put my skates away, didn't think of the dances we were learning and just took a break.

Returning to the rink the following week was magical and you would think I had been practicing 24/7. Everything clicked. By stopping and giving my mind and body a rest, I actually moved forward in my progress. 

I have kept this experience in my mind and refer to it when I feel myself pushing too hard. 

 

A few books to consider with this thought of taking a rest:

The Art of Extreme Self-Care by Cheryl Richardson is an easy to read, life-changing book. She offers 12 strategies to transform your life one month at a time, such as The Absolute No List, Soul-Loving Space, Wake Up! and more.


If introspection and insight is what you feel drawn to, Julia Cameron's books offer that. The Artist's Way, The Vein of Gold and Walking in this World offer tools and tasks for creative self-discovery. You will never look at your life in the same way. 

The process that Julia takes you through covers a significant time frame, so you don't have to expect immediate results. It's a chance to be the tortoise and not the hare.

 

 



No comments: